Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Road Bites

Oh man, the road can bite you. No.... thank God I did not fall on my motorcycle or get in an accident. But I did get a ticket. Uhhh, so frustrating. I have prided myself in only getting a ticket once and that was on a lonely, abandoned road in Hawaii, many years ago. But he had me. 9 miles over the posted speed limit. Wait did I say posted. Let's say the established legal limit. Believe me I was at fault but who knew there were "Urban districts" where the speed limit on a side street is not 35 but 30. It didn't help that when you exit 610 north onto N. Main there is no sign posting the speed limit for about a mile. 30 miles/hr .... really? It wouldn't have mattered since he got me at 39 miles/hr. the fine is only $10 less. I used to think they gave you up to 7 miles an hour over the limit. But really, I just wasn't paying attention to my speed. BUT, I AM NOW. BELIEVE ME.

I have been wondering what it would take to slow me down. You know... get some patience so I wouldn't get so frustrated with all my "friends" on the road. Pain... in the wallet... and 5 hours for defensive driving, that got my attention and has slowed me down. At least for a while. I'm driving slower these days and watching my speedometer. Now, I haven't actually taken the course yet but will probably do the comedy version on line. But just thinking about 5 hours taking defensive driving pains me.

I wish I could complain of injustice. Like a speed trap or something. But being honest, if I was really paying attention I would have seen the officer and instinctively hit my brakes no matter what my speed and would have avoided all this. I feel stupid. God, I don't want another ticket.

1 comment:

  1. You know, Michael, I've found that my life is much more fun to be in when I'm not getting irritated and impatient over things (especially driving).

    I made a realization one day on my way to work that I could either get mad at everything (WHAT? I GOT CAUGHT AT ANOTHER LIGHT?! or WHY WOULD YOU MERGE IN FRONT OF ME YOU GIGANTIC A-HOLE?) or I can relax and take it easy and let nothing bother me, giving plenty of space to the person ahead of me... let's just say that one of these methods has me getting to work in a much better mood.

    -J

    ReplyDelete