Friday, August 5, 2011

From Buddha to Basketball

I had a wild... um, maybe I mean frustrating day on the road. I was heading home from the office about 5:30pm and arrived at the Studewood, N. Main, Cavalcade, 20th st intersection. Well almost. Did I mention that it was 114 degrees in my car and I was in a hurry to get home. This is where it all began.

Here is something that frustrates me to no end - when a driver is sitting at a light that turns green and just continues to sit, almost guaranteeing that I will not get through the light. Oh, that makes me angry. I just want to go home. How about this happening twice at the same light and it takes three changes of the light before I get through. Now you understand my frustration.

This made me think of Buddha or Buddhism to be exact.  A tenet of Buddhism (granted I am not a Buddhist) is that desire causes suffering, usually because our desires cannot be satisfied, and efforts to fulfill our desires or our inability to satisfy them, leads to suffering for ourselves or others. The goal then is to eliminate desire. In my case I was suffering with frustration, even anger, because I could not satisfy my desire to get home...NOW. So it occurred to me that I should give up my desire to get home quickly and just accept that I will get there eventually. This could relieve a lot of frustration. Since there will be no effort of mine being frustrated. Next week, I will try to relax, listen to the news, and not desire to get home quickly. We'll see how it goes.

After exiting the freeway, I encountered someone in a greater hurry than me. After trying to push me faster in the left lane, he switched to the right lane and pressed down on another car. Did I mention that I hate it when someone pushes me or others. Okay, I admit that my response was a form of retaliation. I remembered a basketball term - boxing out. In this case I boxed him in. Never looking to my right... don't want to instigate road rage, I managed my speed just enough so that "my friend," could not get back over in front of me nor could he slip back behind me. I had him boxed in. That will teach him to be in a hurry. Now, who is going to teach me to stop being in a hurry. Now if only I could learn to stop hurrying.

3 comments:

  1. I CAN SOOOOO RELATE TO YOUR FRUSTRATION MICHAEL!!! IT'S ONE OF THE VERY FEW THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT HOUSTON...TRAFFIC AND RECKLESS DRIVING....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest a visit to the wide open spaces of the Great Plains or West Texas. Desire is not a bad thing. Unfounded expectation can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love your diatribes Michael, I'm right there with you. It always seems to me that when I am driving I think heavily about my and others' driving, as with any in-depth analysis: average speed, competency of fellow drivers, comparing times to locations, assessing most effective routes and adjusting according to assumed traffic conditions. Sometimes I even think about how I'm thinking about my driving, that is to say, I wonder why I always, without fail, analyze the driving going on and can't just plain drive and take my mind elsewhere, anywhere else!! Needless to say it is hopeless for me to even consider praying while driving...I wish i could, but definitely a far-fetched double-task for me.

    ReplyDelete