Friday, July 15, 2011

The Beginning of the Road

During a recent discussion at a Life group - a small group meeting in a home - of the Vineyard Church of Houston, I had an epiphany. I realized that my encounters behind the wheel while driving on the roads of Houston, Texas are a microcosm of my entire life and if I could learn the lessons there, I might learn them for all other areas of my life.

So many issues have arisen during my daily commutes - the condition of my heart, my character, my beliefs about people, my sense of justice, the law, language, and a host of other things.

I am determined to learn and change. So, I have decided to be more observant and reflective about my experiences on the road and to keep an account of my journeys and reflections of life through this blog.

I have probably made a foolish beginning. I should have kept my mouth shut. But instead I made a promise to some of my fellow travelers earlier this week. I pledged that the next time I am in a line of traffic exiting a freeway from the far right lane, and someone drives in the lane to my left and tries to cut in front of me, I will not wildly gesture or shout things neither my wife or son would approve. Instead I will give them room to enter my lane. Period. This might be something akin to loving my enemy. I am just going to do it and hope the world doesn't come to an end or result in my own personal carmaggedon.

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I just entered the blogging world myself over Victor's accident. It's quite theraputic as well as a mirror into your mind and heart like you pointed out above. Mine's called Sweet Sojourn... named so because I feel we are all journeying through life...with God or without :D
    I'm looking forward to "following you" on this journey--whether on the roads of Houston or heaven!

    ReplyDelete